Your house gutters play a critical role in protecting your home and roof from water damage. Gutters and downspouts help siphon rainwater and debris away from the roof and eject it safely away enough from the house to where it won’t cause your home to flood or recieve any other type of water damage. If one inch of rain on an average sized roof of 3,000 square feet (30 squares), can amount to 2,000 gallons of water, just imagine what a heavy storm bearing 4 inches or more of rainwater at a time could do to your roof without gutters! If you notice that your gutter drainage system is clogged or damaged, call B & W Roofing and Construction at (210) 849-8025 for gutter installation or repair in San Antonio, TX.
How Do Gutters Protect Your Home?
House gutters work by collecting falling rainwater from the sky or down your roof and sending it down the tunnel of tubes connected to your roof to be released at the downspout. To control water spill over on the roof, the downspout is the the curved section at the end of your house gutters that aims at the ground that releases the rainwater. What happens when your gutters get built up is that rainwater has no place to drain out of the downspout, continually building up in the house gutters until it floods. Gutter flooding causes serious damage to your roofing system like mold or mildew, leaks, and roof rot. Prevent gutter overflow by getting guard guards, which are like lids that encloses the top of your gutter system and stops branches from creating blockages.
When Do Gutters Need to Be Cleaned?
How to clean gutters are very simple. Safely climbing onto a ladder, use a gloved hand and a gutter scoop to remove any debris inside the gutter drainage system. You can also verify that all the blockages are removed by flushing the rain gutters and downspouts with water and making sure that the liquid drains out like it should. Also inspect that all brackets, hangers, and fascia are in good condition and seal or repair any leaks or holes you may find. If you are uncomfortable with heights, you can call a gutter cleaning service who can perform a gutter cleaning, inspection, and repair service at a reasonable price.
What Are Gutters Made Out Of?
Basically your two best options for durable yet affordable gutters are vinyl or metal. The two most popular choices for all household extras like siding, windows, and even plumbing pipes, both of these materials have proven how strong they are. While metal is slightly more expensive, it lasts longer. Both require little maintenance during their lifetimes. Other types of gutters that you can use are:
- Copper: elegant and long lasting but very expensive, copper will last you 100 years in any climate. If you don’t want the copper to oxidize blue over the decades, get a lead or zinc coating.
- Zinc: understated, but more expensive, zinc lasts 30 to 50 years without rusting or denting. Proper installation is required, though, as zinc expands when temperatures fluctuate.
- Steel: rugged and can rust if not coated in zinc or stainless steel. Uncoated, steel will still last 15 years, but when it has the protective stainless steel layer, it will last 25 years and never rust.
- Aluminum: affordable yet durable, aluminum gutters won’t ever rust and is the lightest of all metals, making is more susceptible to dents. Lasts for 25 years.
- Vinyl: affordable but short lived, vinyl gutters don’t rust, but are unfortunately very brittle and easily bent under harsh winds. Lasts for 20 years.
Do You Need Gutter Repair?
Things to watch out for that indicate that your gutters are failing include:
- Tree leaves, branches, or pine needles that can fall or get blown into the gutters and cause clogs.
- What the gutters are attached to is called the fascia. Made of wood, it can start to rot from serious water damage, causing the gutters to sag or come loose and separate from the fascia board.
- Gutters can crack too! If standing water is left in improperly drained gutters and temperatures drop below freezing, the water will freeze and expand, causing the gutters to burst apart.
- Leaks can happen from holes in your gutter systems or if they are clogged and the water is overflowing.
Get Gutter Installation or Repair Today
Seamless gutters are vital in keeping your roofing system from water damage and leaks. When your gutters fail, your roof majorly suffers. While they may seem like add-ons to your roofing system and not as important as the main thing, gutter systems are a key component in helping your roof last for as long as possible. Keeping your rain gutters in excellent condition will keep your roof in excellent condition. From gutter repair to gutter cleaning or installation or gutter guards, B & W Roofing and Construction is here to help with a wide range of gutter services. Call us today at (210) 849-8025 if you need help with your gutter in San Antonio, TX.